Why Does It Matter?
Interior Design affects every space we encounter. Every decision an Interior Designer makes in one way or another affects the health, safety and welfare of the public. Those decisions include specifying furniture, fabrics and carpeting that comply with fire codes and space planning that provides proper means of egress. Additionally, Interior Designers deal with accessibility issues, ergonomics, lighting, acoustics and design solutions for those with special needs.
The professional Interior Designer is qualified by education, experience and examination to enhance the safety, function, and quality of interior spaces.
- Interior Designers combine critical and creative thinking, communication skills and the understanding of technology for the purposes of enhancing interior spaces.
- The knowledge base of the Interior Designer protects the health, safety, and welfare of the public, improves the quality of life, and increases productivity of the work environment.
- Interior Design includes specialties in residential, commercial, and institutional interiors, which involve: Healthcare facilities, Hospitality environments (hotels, restaurants and clubs), Office and industrial interiors, Residential, Schools and Universities
Interior design training includes the following subjects:
- National, state and local building codes and standards
- Fire Codes – Accessibility needs of disabled and elderly persons and other special
- Lighting quality and quantity – Acoustics and sound transmission
IIDA RMC works to promote the Interior Design profession, including the transformative effects of interior design on client’s businesses; the positive impact on public health, safety and welfare; and the significant economic contribution in the states of Colorado, Montana and Wyoming.
We have a strong voice within the design community: through work with members, CIDC design coalitions and allied organizations in the built environment and beyond. We reach out to new audiences and organizations to build awareness of and appreciation for the role of interior designers and IIDA.